Real life train numbers - how to use them in BAHN?

This area is dedicated to our foreign guests of this forum. Contributions can be written in any language.
[Diese Kategorie ist den ausländischen Gästen dieses Forums gewidmet. Beiträge können in beliebiger Sprache verfasst werden.]
Antworten
1993matias
Real life train numbers - how to use them in BAHN?

Beitrag von 1993matias »

As you might know, I am trying to recreate Denmark in BAHN. Currently I have a few lines with traffic, but I call them by route number (e.g. R15 for R1512, R1516, etc.), since they share the same stopping pattern and schedule. But I would like for the train consists to work through a realistic day, not being "stuck" on the same route all day - e.g.: R1512 -> R3520 -> IC124 -> R3340 etc.
My question is, how do I direct the right trains the right way? Right now with general routing it's easy (R15, R35 etc), but I don't want to make a route called R1512 and a route called R1516 since that would be too many routes at a switch. It's easy enough with only stopping trains, but what happens when I need to add empty (repositioning) trains too?

My options are, as I see it:
  • Route number changes according to real train number, train's destination dictates turnout direction
  • Route number stays the same (R15, R35), but train number in BAHN changes. Route number dictates direction
  • Train number changes, destination dictates turnout direction, route is not used
And for the bonus questions:
Four tracks, two fast and two slow. Trains for same destination use different set of tracks. How to differentiate? Is it possible to add a via point? I'd like to keep destination the same all the way, but is it possible? Or would I have to differentiate using other methods than destinations?
Is it possible to tell a train to stop at a stopping point using other than the route?
Jan Bochmann
Re: Real life train numbers - how to use them in BAHN?

Beitrag von Jan Bochmann »

Hello,
1993matias hat geschrieben:As you might know, I am trying to recreate Denmark in BAHN.
This seems to be an interesting project.
1993matias hat geschrieben: Currently I have a few lines with traffic, but I call them by route number (e.g. R15 for R1512, R1516, etc.), since they share the same stopping pattern and schedule.
This is quite common in passenger service of many modern railways - even for long distance service. Since decades it is normal for commuter services (S-Bahn), metros, trams and local buses.
1993matias hat geschrieben: But I would like for the train consists to work through a realistic day, not being "stuck" on the same route all day - e.g.: R1512 -> R3520 -> IC124 -> R3340 etc.

My question is, how do I direct the right trains the right way? Right now with general routing it's easy (R15, R35 etc)..
Then you should use it. BAHN is intended to use the routes for that.
1993matias hat geschrieben: My options are, as I see it:
Route number changes according to real train number, train's destination dictates turnout direction
Route number stays the same (R15, R35), but train number in BAHN changes. Route number dictates direction
Train number changes, destination dictates turnout direction, route is not used
These 3 options are non-exclusive, i.e. it makes sense to combine them.

You should better speak of a "route code" than a "number" then. It is possible to have many route codes in a BAHN layout, i.e. you can use an extra one for each journey. However, this makes you to have much work and it is mostly useless if there are many journeys of exact the same route.

Often it makes sense to use the route code for direction, i.e. and additionally to use the train's destination for the few exceptions, i.e.

Code: Alles auswählen

IC1(d="Copenhagen")
I know there are example layouts where the train number is used to show the journey number. Thus, the train needs to get assigned a new number at each terminus.
Normally, in a railway net these numbers are unique over 24h. So, if you like, you can use these numbers for all purposes. But by my mind it would be an extreme idea to have only one route code and no destinations but unique journey numbers, however it should work too. It would result in entries at turnouts like

*(n=31+33+35+1000-1010)
or

*(n>=2000)
1993matias hat geschrieben: And for the bonus questions:
Four tracks, two fast and two slow. Trains for same destination use different set of tracks. How to differentiate?
Normally by train category/species, e.g. passenger one track and freight the other, or express/IC one track, regional/local the other.
It would result in entries at junctions like

*(c=g)
or

*(t=EFIXT)
However, the most systems use different route codes for trains of different priority, even when travelling the same line (i.e. same start point and destination). Thus, you can use the route codes too, e.g. IC1 travelling the fast line but RE1 uses the slow line, or the same with S5X and S5.
1993matias hat geschrieben: Is it possible to add a via point?
This will come with BAHN 3.89. There you can assign up to 3 via points for a train.

In BAHN 3.88 it is common to use additional destinations as work-around. For example, two trains travel from Berlin to Hamburg, one via Hannover and another via Schwerin. So both have the destination "Hamburg". You may create the destinations "Hamburg via Schwerin" and "Hamburg via Hann." and use them. As you like, you can assign "Hamburg" to the trains as new destination after they have passed Schwerin resp. Hannover.
1993matias hat geschrieben: I'd like to keep destination the same all the way, but is it possible? Or would I have to differentiate using other methods than destinations?
You can combine the data. For instance

ic1(d="Hamburg")
or

*(d="Hamburg",n=2000+2002+2004)
1993matias hat geschrieben: Is it possible to tell a train to stop at a stopping point using other than the route?
Yes, ofcourse. In the route list of a stopping point you may enter nearly the same data as elsewhere (like turnouts, signal elements etc.). See BAHN Help at "route list" for more or use the hints in the dialog box for data change points. The conditions are the same everywhere, except the switching function.

With kind regards,
Jan B.

Remark: All examples here are made for the English BAHN version. In other languages some codes may differ.
Seb144

Beitrag von Seb144 »

1993matias hat geschrieben: [*]Route number changes according to real train number, train's destination dictates turnout direction
Hello Matias,

I only use lines as routes for s-trains, subways, tramways, busses etc.

Concerning trains I always use real train numbers as route numbers. That is a lot more work to do, but it's very realistic as you can simulate every single train as it is in reality. BAHN has enough space for routes, I'm using 2.853 and there are still 2.147 left. And I don't mind the extra work as BAHN is fun!

Regards,

Sebastian

http://www.bahn1989.berlin
1993matias

Beitrag von 1993matias »

Thank you for your input - I have taken a look at Berlin 1989. That seems like an incredible amount of work, I am truly impressed!

In the end I have decided to use routes for general wayfinding, and train numbers for smaller variations (e.g. Late trains stopping at more stops). Train type for differentiating between fast and slow lines.

I just have one question: Is there any way to see which ways are reserved for active itineraries? I remember in version 3.83 or 3.84 you could see which tracks were reserved by trains passing switches. Maybe there is something similar for itineraries?
Jan Bochmann

Beitrag von Jan Bochmann »

Hello,
1993matias hat geschrieben:Thank you for your input - I have taken a look at Berlin 1989. That seems like an incredible amount of work, I am truly impressed!
Yes, it is a very interesting and large project.
1993matias hat geschrieben: I just have one question: Is there any way to see which ways are reserved for active itineraries?
Partially. The way sections self are not reserved and thus cannot be marked in any way. However, the switches and crossings can be displayed:

Click "View" menu, "Display settings". On the right side of the dialog window look for "Show object texts in the layout". The first 3 entries are important: Mark either ("Turnout types" and "Crossings") or "Numbers of turnouts and crossings" or all 3. Then, BAHN shows this information in a different color when a turnout or crossing is part of an itinerary that is active, i.e. that is assigned to an approaching train.
Ofcourse, the color settings need to be set to different colors, however that is already done in the default settings for background and frame colors. You may alter the colors at "Options" menu, "Colors", "Color distribution". At "Text in the layout: Turnout" there is also an entry for "Turnout, blocked", and the same is available for crossings.
1993matias hat geschrieben: I remember in version 3.83 or 3.84 you could see which tracks were reserved by trains passing switches.
This is still available in the schematic view (scale 1:2 to 1:16). Look at color settings (see above) if there are assigned different colors for "Schematic view Tracks on road (free)" and "~(locked)" and for the following lines for own trackbed and the other way types.

Kind regards,
Jan B.
Antworten