Tunnel system - whether to use 3.83 or 3.85 in a layout

Tragen Sie hier Ihre Wünsche und Anregungen für zukünftige BAHN- und Editorenversionen ein!
Antworten
1993matias
Tunnel system - whether to use 3.83 or 3.85 in a layout

Beitrag von 1993matias »

Hallo! Ich wil in Englisch schreiben, weil ich nicht so gut Deutsch sprechen :)

Hi! I was looking at some old layouts, when BAHN told me that there were 80 tunnels which couldn't be built. And because I just wanted to view the layout, I choose the lazy way and downloaded BAHN 3.83.

My suggestion is to make it possible when loading a layout to choose whether to use the default (pre 3.83) tunnels or the new tunnels, as this would make the viewing of older layouts easier, and making a copy of BAHN 3.83 unnecessary.

Also, the automatic tunnel-builder does not consider tramways as roadways, but if it did, it would help many of the error messages. Maybe it shouldn't do it every time, but only as a last way out. And maybe even tunnel entries which goes two layers down? That would also save much of the troubles!

I hope you read my suggestions, and get inspiration from them :D

And while I'm at it, I saw the un-complexity of BAHN 3.83 compared to 3.85, and I'm surprised! You have done very well! A million thanks for the wonderful and life-saving updates you have been making!
Kind regards - Matias
Denmark 2018 in BAHN finished! Mostly, at least
micha88
Re: Tunnel system - whether to use 3.83 or 3.85 in a layout

Beitrag von micha88 »

I assume that it would be much to complicated, to keep two completely different tunneling schemes in one BAHN version.
For such a hybrid BAHN, lots of code would have to be created and developed twice...
Bild
1993matias

Beitrag von 1993matias »

What I mean is, when you load the layout, and the tunnel errors come up, you can choose whether to run the old or the new one. But I see what you mean.

Maybe if it only is in the viewer?
Rolf R

Beitrag von Rolf R »

What I mean is, when you load the layout, and the tunnel errors come up, you can choose whether to run the old or the new one. But I see what you mean.
Maybe if it only is in the viewer?
No, the errors are also come up in the standard version. At version 3.84 BAHN got a new tunnel scheme.

[quote="http//www.jbss.de]
Layout data extended by sub-surface levels -1 to -4, new technique for tunnel lines[/quote]

For more information see on Jan's homepage. The newer BAHN versions 3.84 and 3.85 can not fit with the old tunnel schemes. That's the reason for the error messages.
Mein Link-Tipp zu BAHN: http://www.gerdinoack.de. Dort findet Ihr Filme und Grafiken zu BAHN von Gerd (Username gnock) und mein neues Fahrzeugarchiv, das auch unter dem neuen Direktlink www.gerdinoack.de/Fahrzeugarchiv_385/ zu erreichen ist.
Jan Bochmann

Beitrag von Jan Bochmann »

Hello,
1993matias hat geschrieben:Hallo! Ich wil in Englisch schreiben, weil ich nicht so gut Deutsch sprechen :)
No problem.
1993matias hat geschrieben: Hi! I was looking at some old layouts, when BAHN told me that there were 80 tunnels which couldn't be built.
That is quite much. When I changed to the new tunnel system of BAHN 3.84, I updated about 400 layouts using the automated tunnel builder and checked them for problems and errors. The most layouts worked completely without errors. Some of them caused one ore two errors that needed manual correction. There were only a few layouts with more errors. I looked at them in detail and found that all these layouts showed phantasy networks with very crude tunnel constructions that never would work in reality. But the automated tunnel builder works well for the most situations that you find in real life, and in result also in layouts that show some original network.
1993matias hat geschrieben: And because I just wanted to view the layout, I choose the lazy way and downloaded BAHN 3.83.

My suggestion is to make it possible when loading a layout to choose whether to use the default (pre 3.83) tunnels or the new tunnels, as this would make the viewing of older layouts easier, and making a copy of BAHN 3.83 unnecessary.
That would result in need of many code and techniques twice that are incompatible at all. Imagine someone new is learning about BAHN: How to understand that you can build turnouts and signals in tunnels but it does not work when you loaded an old layout file before?
1993matias hat geschrieben: Also, the automatic tunnel-builder does not consider tramways as roadways, but if it did, it would help many of the error messages.
In some early Beta versions of BAHN 3.84 it worked this way. However, I found some layouts where it was definitely needed to make a strong distinction between different kinds of driving way of the tunnel gates. The reason is that the old system worked exactly this way and some BAHN layout authors did use it extensively. In result, there are layouts that contain a lot of overlapping tunnels of different ways but same direction. E.g. one tunnel of road and exactly over it but shorter, a tunnel of track, both crossing a water on the same line. I remember to Eberhard Dietz' well-known layout "Große Modellbahn" (Large Model Railroad), containing many of such constructions. The automated tunnel builder tries to detect this situation and tries to lay the longer tunnel into a deeper level.
1993matias hat geschrieben: Maybe it shouldn't do it every time, but only as a last way out. And maybe even tunnel entries which goes two layers down? That would also save much of the troubles!
But it would generate the next situations of impossible geometry. I am afraid that would not really solve problems but move them to the future only.
1993matias hat geschrieben: I hope you read my suggestions, and get inspiration from them :D

And while I'm at it, I saw the un-complexity of BAHN 3.83 compared to 3.85, and I'm surprised! You have done very well! A million thanks for the wonderful and life-saving updates you have been making!
Some of the new functionality of BAHN 3.84/3.85 is directly based on the changes of the tunnel system and would not work with the old one. We cannot have and hold all together.

Greetings,
Jan B.
Antworten